So, I found myself cooking for a pescatarian today. Most of our easy lunch options include meat-based protein, which meant I needed to put forth a bit more effort than usual. And yet, lunch was ready in less than 30 minutes, felt gourmet, and was made entirely from ingredients I already had in my pantry!
My ingredients list is long; that tends to be how I cook. I encourage you to season as feels right to you; if there is a spice or ingredient you don’t have, skip it or substitute with a flavor that seems complimentary to those in the dish! I served these on a bed of mixed greens and topped with my Spicy Tartar Sauce!
Serves: 8 decent-sized crab cakes (4 servings)
Time: 10 minutes prep + 10 minutes cook = 20 minutes total!
- 12 oz can water packed Albacore tuna
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs + more for coating
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup minced seasoning mix (a blend of onions, green bell peppers, celery, and parsley, or whatever you have of those things; green onions and white onions work equally well)
- 2 tbsp. stone ground mustard (or Dijon)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 5 dashes hot sauce (I used Crystal)
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 4 tbsp. oil
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- In a bowl add all ingredients (I beat my egg in the same bowl, because I don’t want to clean another dish) and mix with a fork. If you have a cat, let them lick the tuna can clean and they’ll love you mercilessly for the rest of the day.
- Form into patties and coat lightly with more seasoned breadcrumbs (I just sprinkled a bit onto a plate to do this).
- Fry in hot oil until golden brown and then flip and repeat on the other side!
- Allow excess oil to drain on paper towels.
- Serve and enjoy!