Dinner last night was a one-pot wonder. The picky, picky toddlers ate it happily, which is the triumph I pray for every day…and I managed to sneak veggies in! Next time, I’ll add more vegetables (now that I know they’ll go for the sauce and won’t notice them) and skip the bread crumb topping to cut down on the carb load (though it was VERY tasty). I’ll probably make a keto version at some point using veggie noodles and perhaps even almond meal topping.
Four Cheese Skillet Lasagna
Prep time: 5 minutes, Cook time: 28 minutes, Yield: 6 servings
- 1 lb. ground beef or Italian sausage
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. pepper or to taste
- 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. pre-made Italian seasoning, OR:
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. dried savory
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach, chopped (or a defrosted package of frozen spinach)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 8 oz dry mafalda pasta (or other small pasta: shells, penne, farfalle, etc.)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. dried basil
In a large oven-safe skillet cook the ground beef over medium heat until it’s no longer pink and starts to brown. Drain off any excess fat, leaving just enough to wilt the spinach.
Ad the chopped onion and minced garlic to the skillet and stir. Season with salt and pepper, Italian seasoning and cook until the onion gets soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the chopped spinach and minced garlic to the skillet and sauté until it wilts.
Add the tomato sauce, pasta, chicken broth and stir everything together. Bring to a boil then turn the heat down. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the pasta is cooked to your desired tenderness and most of the sauce has reduced/absorbed.
Stir in 1/2 cup of your mozzarella, 1/2 cup of your ricotta cheese, and your blue and parmesan cheeses and cook until all the cheese is melted. Dollop the remaining ricotta in and cover with the mixture, but don’t try to incorporate.
Sprinkle your skillet with your remaining mozzarella. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top, followed by the granulated garlic and basil.
Stick under the broiler for about 3 minutes to crisp up the top and serve!